Bring the Documents You Need to Get the EITC You Deserve

Whether you go to an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center, a volunteer return preparation site or a professional tax return preparer, you should bring certain documents to show all your income and expenses and support all your credits, deductions and dependents or qualifying children.

Bring the following to make sure your return is correct:

  • Valid driver's license or photo identification for both you and your spouse, if married)
  • Social security cards, a Social Security number (SSN) verification letter, the ITIN, Individual Taxpayer Identifying Number, or an ATIN, Adoption Taxpayer Identifying Number, for all persons listed on the return
  • Birth dates for all persons listed on return
  • All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest and any documents showing taxes withheld. Also, any income records for a business or farm you run
  • All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest, real estate taxes, business or farm
  • Copies of last year's state and federal tax returns, if on hand
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund
  • Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker's SSN or other tax identification number
  • Both spouses to sign forms to e-file (electronically file) a joint tax return.






Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 01-Jul-2014