We continue to take forceful actions against return preparers who file fraudulent EITC claims that do not fit into our injunction process. The following are samples of actions taken that do not fit into our injunction process:
- The United States has filed civil injunction lawsuits in five cities seeking to shut down both the company that operates Instant Tax Service (ITS) as well as five owners of ITS franchises. The Justice Department filed lawsuits in Dayton, Ohio; Chicago; Indianapolis; Las Vegas; and Kansas City, Kansas. ITS Financial LLC, headquartered in Dayton, operates what it claims is the nation's fourth-largest tax-preparation business. In the complaints, the Justice Department accuses ITS Financial and its owner, Fesum Ogbazion, of deliberately ignoring systemic and pervasive fraud by ITS franchisees. Read the full news release, Justice Department Sues National Tax Preparation Firm And Franchisees To Stop Alleged Pervasive Tax Fraud.
- Federal Court Permanently Bars Milagros Espinal of Hialeah, Florida from Preparing Tax Returns For Others (February 18, 2011)
- Federal Court Permanently Bars Jody S. Ball of Bryson City, North Carolina doing business as The Tax Lady Inc. and Jody Ball Accounting from Preparing Tax Returns For Others (February 10, 2011)
- Consequences of Failing to Meet Your Due Diligence
- EITC Preparer Compliance - Focused and Tiered