The Earned Income Tax Credit or EITC, is a tax credit for people who work, and earn low to modest incomes. Those who qualify and claim the credit could pay less federal tax, pay no tax or even get a tax refund. As of December 2022, more than 31 million workers and families received about $64 billion in EITC. The average amount of EITC received nationwide was about $2,0431.
This press section offers up-to-date EITC information for the 2023 filing season. You will find an overview of EITC, statistics, hot topics, Awareness Day news and IRS media relations contacts. More in-depth information is available on the EITC homepage.
Other EITC Resources for Taxpayers, Return Preparers and IRS Partners:
- Media Contacts
- Visit irs.gov pages especially designed for EITC
- Visit the IRS Multimedia Center on irs.gov
- Use the EITC Assistant, an interactive tool for determining eligibility and calculating credit. This tool is multilingual and is available for the current tax year and three prior years.
- The Partner or Outreach toolkit is a resource for EITC information and products that contains templates, statistics, fact sheets, how-to tips and information products to help partners increase EITC awareness.
- The Tax Preparers Toolkit is resource for all tax return preparers to help them prepare tax returns correctly and give them the facts they need to know to meet their Due Diligence requirements.
1Source: Calendar Year Report, December 2022.