Preparers who are paid to complete returns claiming the earned income tax credit (EITC), child tax credit (CTC), additional child tax credit (ACTC), credit for other dependents (ODC), American opportunity tax credit (AOTC) or head of household (HOH) filing status must meet due diligence requirements. This section helps you understand due diligence requirements and resources.
Due Diligence Topics
- Refundable Credit Due Diligence Law
- What is Form 8867?
- Consequences of Not Meeting Due Diligence Requirements
Free Programs and Resources
- Due Diligence Training Module - this interactive course, available in both English and Spanish, helps paid tax return preparers learn about due diligence requirements when preparing returns claiming the EITC, CTC, ACTC, ODC, AOTC and HOH filing status. There's no cost and you may qualify for one continuing education credit.
- Nationwide Tax Forum Videos - the videos focus on due diligence requirements for refundable credits and head of household filing status, and the due diligence examination process.
- Due Diligence Videos - the popular due diligence videos from the IRS Nationwide Tax Forums give examples of interview techniques for various situations.
- Useful examples on how to handle common due diligence situations.
- Information and examples on handling the most common EITC errors.
- Forms 886 help you and your client understand the documents that can help prove a claim for the EITC, CTC, ODC, AOTC or HOH filing status.
- IRS Publication 4687, Refundable Credit Due Diligence, available in both English PDF and Spanish PDF, provides valuable guidance to help you comply with your due diligence requirements.