Another tier of our Refundable Credit Preparer Compliance Program is pre-filing educational visit to preparers, known as Knock and Talk visits. A revenue agent and criminal investigator or IRS agents on their own visit those who prepared refundable credits claims with a high chance of error. The goal is to help preparers understand and avoid errors. See Refundable Credit Preparer Compliance-Focused and Tiered for information on other parts of our program.
During these outreach and education visits, agents
- Talk about the errors on the claims;
- Offer tips and tools for improving accuracy;
- Answer any questions; and
- Explain the potential costs of not improving accuracy. Read more about Consequences of Failing to Meet your Due Diligence Requirements here.
Knock and talk visits don't result in penalties, but, we continue to monitor the claims the preparers complete to verify that accuracy improves. If a preparer's refundable credit claims do not show improvement, we may conduct a due diligence audit during the next filing season. Read more about due diligence audits.
- Consequences of Failing to Meet Your Due Diligence Requirements
- Refundable Credits Preparer Compliance - Focused and Tiered