This News Release example can be used for Promoting EITC throughout the tax filing season. Please copy, paste into your template, and fill in the information where indicated in [green italics]. Or, use this example to create your own news release.
WORKERS MAY QUALIFTY FOR FEDERAL TAX CREDIT
([city], [state])--[Enter your organization's name] wants to make life a little easier for workers by alerting them about a special tax credit that can put money in their pockets.
"EITC is a tax benefit for working people and their families and it allows more dollars to flow into our community. It's money workers can use for groceries, rent, utilities and other bills” said [Enter spokesperson's name]. “We want workers who may qualify for EITC to have all the information they need to get the EITC and get it right.”
Join the millions who received the EITC. In 2019, the credit returned about $63 billion dollars to 25 million workers. [You may want to localize this statistic by using your state's information] The amount of EITC varies by income, family size and filing status. It can mean up to 529 dollars in EITC for people without a qualifying child, and up to $6,557 for those with three or more qualifying children. On average EITC adds 24 hundred dollars to refunds.
If you qualify for EITC, you must file a tax return, even if you have no tax to pay, to claim the credit. Workers should know you earned it, now file, claim it and get it.
With the exception of some who receive certain disability income, you must work for someone, or run your own business or farm to qualify for EITC. Workers who made less than $55,952 should see if they qualify for EITC using the EITC Assistant tool at www.irs.gov/eitc. This 2019 tax year version of this tool is available January 2020.
Find out if you are eligible using the EITC Assistant; it’s available in both English and Spanish. The Assistant helps you:
- find your filing status,
- find out if you have a qualifying child or children,
- verify if you are eligible for EITC, and
- estimate the amount of your credit.
Let the Assistant help you get it and get it right. Visit www.irs.gov/eitc to find the Assistant.
Also, if you make less than $56,000, you qualify for free tax return preparation through volunteer sites. IRS-certified volunteers prepare your tax return and find out if you qualify for EITC and other refundable credits. Find a location for free tax return preparation near you at search VITA [Eliminate the following if 211 or 311 is not available in your community] or locate a volunteer site through our [eliminate one] 211 or 311 number.
But, make sure you get the right amount of credit due you. If you have someone prepare your return, make sure to bring the following to your preparer:
- A valid driver's license or other photo id card
- Social security cards, a social security number (SSN) verification letter for all persons listed on the return
- Birth dates for all persons listed on return
- All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment, and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest and any documents showing taxes withheld. If you run a business or farm, records of all income earned.
- All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest or real estate taxes. And, if you run a business or farm, records of all related expenses.
- Copies of last year's state and federal tax returns, if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund
- Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker's SSN or other tax identification number
- If you purchased coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
- Both spouses to sign forms to e-file a joint tax return
[Add information about your organization]
More News Releases
- News Release For use on EITC Awareness Day promoting EITC and Volunteer Tax Assistance Sites
- News Release for use throughout the filing season for those with Volunteer Tax Assistance Sites
- EITC Awareness Day News Release