2023 Nationwide Tax Forums
The IRS Nationwide Tax Forums are a major IRS outreach event for the tax professional community. Each of the IRS Nationwide Tax Forums are a three-day event providing tax professionals with the latest information on federal and state tax issues. Experts from the IRS and its partner organizations present information through a variety of training seminars and workshops.
The Refundable Credits Administration office will sponsor the following seminars in person:
Answers to Your Frequently Asked Questions About Due Diligence
Real life examples are featured to provide awareness on the various IRS education methods and the compliance actions IRS may take for paid preparers when the due diligence requirements are not met. The presentation will:
- discuss the specific paid preparers’ due diligence requirements for returns claiming the earned income tax credit (EITC), child tax credit (CTC), additional child tax credit (ACTC), credit for other dependents (ODC), and the head of household (HOH) filing status,
- address paid preparers’ most frequently asked questions about due diligence requirements,
- review due diligence documentation requirements,
- describe IRS’s due diligence educational contact methods and the due diligence audit process and
- share IRS’s online educational resources for paid preparers.
Sailing Through the Rules of Refundable Tax Credits
The eligibility rules for the earned income tax credit (EITC), child tax credit/additional child tax credit (CTC/ACTC), American opportunity tax credit (AOTC) and the premium tax credit (PTC) for tax year 2023 returns will be discussed to. This presentation will:
- explore the eligibility rules for the EITC and CTC/ACTC for 2023 returns,
- outline tax professionals’ responsibilities when filing returns claiming the EITC, CTC/ACTC/ODC, AOTC, PTC and head of household filing status,
- highlight the advantages of claiming refundable credits,
- explain the recertification process after an audit and
- share IRS’s refundable credits online resources for tax professionals.
2022 Nationwide Tax Forums
The Forums were conducted virtually in July and August of 2022.
The Refundable Credits Administration office sponsored the following seminars:
American Rescue Plan Tax Changes to the Earned Income Tax Credit and Other Child-Related Credits
Some parts of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 expired after 2021. This webinar will explore the rules for the earned income tax credit (EITC), child tax credit (CTC), additional child tax credit (ACTC), credit for other dependents (ODC), and the head of household (HOH) filing status for tax year 2022 returns. It will also explain additional resources, training and tools available at no charge to tax professionals through IRS’ online Tax Return Preparer Toolkit.
Participants received insight on the various methods IRS uses to educate paid preparers who may not be meeting due diligence requirements and walked through the steps of a preparer due diligence audit. The seminar explained additional resources, training and tools available at no charge to tax professionals through IRS’ online Tax Return Preparer Toolkit.
Nationwide Tax Forum Videos - the videos focus on the process for due diligence examinations under Internal Revenue Code section 6695(g).
IRS Nationwide Tax Forums Online
The IRS Nationwide Tax Forums Online (NTFO) provides courses based on taped seminars from previous IRS Nationwide Tax Forums. NTFO courses may be taken for either CPE credit or audit.