Tax Professional Awareness Week
What is Tax Professional Awareness Week?
A week of educational initiatives that equips tax professionals with the tools and information they need before filing season to help them prepare accurate returns. The event is designed to empower tax professionals with updated knowledge and skills in the evolving field of taxation.
Why are Tax Professionals so important?
Paid tax professionals play an important role in assisting taxpayers with their filing obligations. In Fiscal Year 2022, paid tax professionals filed nearly 86 million out of the 263 million federal individual electronic returns and supplemental documents processed by the IRS. Furthermore, more than half of taxpayers who claim refundable credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit rely on paid tax professionals to accurately file their return. Without a doubt, tax professionals play an important role in ensuring the integrity of the tax system.
Explore some of our key messages – Click on the links below to support your success.
- Become an Authorized e-file Provider. Join our partnership in three easy steps to save money, increase your productivity and build your business, while providing a service most taxpayers now expect.
- Be aware! Cybercriminals target tax professionals because you are custodians of highly sensitive client data. Cybercriminals attempt to steal your client's personal financial information so that they can create fraudulent tax returns and claim your client’s refunds.
- Professionalism matters. The Annual Filing Season Program recognizes the efforts of non-credentialed return preparers who aspire to a higher level of professionalism.
- Due diligence is important. Know the law. Ask the right questions. Document both your questions and your clients’ responses. Keep the required worksheets and records. Complete Form 8867 Paid Preparer’s Due Diligence Checklist.
Enhance your knowledge – Attend a free live IRS educational webinar!
Additional educational webinars and training opportunities (Fees may apply):
Check back for updates.
Stay informed - Access resources designed to enhance your expertise in tax preparation.
- EITC Assistant
- EITC Due Diligence Training Module
- Filing Taxes After Divorce or Separation
- Interactive Tax Assistant
- IRS National Tax Forums Online
- PTIN Requirements for Tax Return Preparers
- Tax Return Preparer Toolkit
- Tax Pro Account
- Webinars for Tax Professionals
- Publication 1345, Handbook for Authorized IRS e-file Providers of Individual Income Tax Return
- Circular 230, Regulations Governing Practice before the Internal Revenue Service Treasury Department
- Publication 5895, Who Do You Trust to Prepare Your Return?